I had a mighty fine glass of wine with dinner, and I am feeling it (which is ridiculous, by the way, as I have a glass of wine with dinner every fricken night. but this is a new wine, and it is fantastic.), so bear with me.
1. I had Chinese a couple nights ago, and when I opened my fortune cookie it said "You look pretty". Which was nice, but the cookie was full of shit, because I hadn't showered that day and had spent part of the afternoon helping to move furniture. NICE TRY. But I totally kept it.
2. I forgot to put on a belt yesterday, and felt naked and uncomfortable all day. So, I'm curious.
When I can find one.
I think there should be more polls in my life.
I'm checking every box you give me to check, for the record.
3. John Updike died today, as I'm sure everyone knows by now. I've never read any of the books he was, you know, famous for or anything. But one of my favorite essays of all time is, naturally,
Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu
, and my subject is one of my favorite lines. It's about Ted Williams - specifically his last game, and his parting shot: a home run, because that's how Ted Williams rolled. (I'm thrilled to find that it's online and available, but I'm disappointed because my copy of the essay came in a collection of baseball writings, and it includes a footnote discussing his .404 season average that begins "The sweet saga of this beautiful decimal must be sung once more." - for those of you who don't know, that was his season average in 1941, and the closest anyone has come since is .390, with last year's winner coming in at .328, if that helps any. Oh, Teddy, I love you best, you old bastard.) I have some beat up copies of his novels around here somewhere, but I think they've fallen into the same category as Kurt Vonnegut - I'm totally going to read them someday, but there's this shiny new young adult novel calling my name right now.
4. So there's this shiny new young adult novel calling my name - The Thief
, by Megan Whalen Turner, because snowfire
has been all about them. I went looking for Jellicoe Road
today, because it won the Printz, but it seems to only be out in hardcover, and I hate hardcover books; I can only carry one at a time. I'm disappointed that Hunger Games
didn't even get an Honor, but I'm intrigued by Octavian Nothing
, as I keep meaning to read the first one and now I need to read the second as well.
5. I am not a salesperson, and I wish they would stop asking me to be one at work.
6. Everyone should go here
and write porn. Yay!
7. It turns out that I get the MLB Network, which is: a) cool, because of course I need more baseball in my life, b) awesome, because they just hired everyone's favorite former Red Sox back up firstbaseman, Sean Casey
, and now I will hopefully get to watch half an hour a week of him interviewing baseball players with in depth questions like "Who's the worst spread killer?" and "How awesome is pro wrestling?' and then giggling like a little girl, and then telling everyone about his new haircut and how bad he is at fantasy football, or c) awful, because I have a job I have to go to, and so a 24-hour baseball channel is really just the world taunting me.
8. Guys! Rachel Maddow!
Completely serious and bad ass journalist. Um, I kind of have a girl crush.
(pitchers and catchers report in 15 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes. not that we're counting or anything.)
ETA: Um, why did no one mention the giant typo/deleted section in the middle of my post? I didn't have that much wine, honest. Fixed now.